About the County Veterans Services Office
Established in 1946, the San Mateo County Veterans Services Office (CVSO) helps veterans access state and federal benefits that help veterans, their spouses and family members.The CVSO also provides information and referrals to a wide range of services and connects veterans to programs such as the California Veteran College Fee Waiver for veterans and dependents.
Please note: The CVSO is NOT a part of the US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).
What does this program offer?
Staff from the County Veterans Services Office can assist veterans and their families with the following:
- Service-connected disability compensation claims
- Non-service connected pension claims
- California State veterans benefits
- Veterans Affairs (VA) life insurance
- VA burial benefits
- VA home loans
- College fee tuition waivers for dependents
Veterans of all ages may be eligible for a range of services and benefits, compensation, pensions, and medical services. Information and referrals for additional clinical, medical, counseling, nonprofit services, and emergency assistance are also available.
They can also receive in-home care, vocational counseling, home loans, retroactive payments and college fee waivers for their children.
Who can benefit from this program?
You are eligible for veterans benefits if you are a:
- Spouse of a veteran
- Surviving spouse of a veteran
- Child of a deceased or disabled veteran
- Parent who lost a son or daughter in military service
What else should I know?
We can help you with information and/or referral for:
- Post Traumatic Stress Therapy
- Alcoholism and drug dependency treatment
- Emergency shelter, food, health, mental health
- Community-based agencies
- Home-based help for the physically challenged
- VA outpatient medical and dental treatment
- VA hospitalization
- Discharge upgrading
- Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, child care, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211.”
- For emergency food and to apply for CalFresh (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-934-3663
Veterans Crisis Line:
The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available. https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
How can I apply or learn more?
Please Note: Our office has moved from San Carlos to Belmont.
San Mateo County Veterans Service Office (CVSO):
400 Harbor Blvd Bldg B
Belmont, CA 94002
Monday – Thursday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, closed from 12pm-1pm
Clients will be seen on a first come first serve basis beginning at 9am. The last clients will be seen at 11am and 3:30pm.
Effective June 10, 2016, our Harbor office will be closed on Fridays for administrative office hours.
On Tuesdays we are at:
795 Willow Road Bldg 348
Menlo Park, CA 94025
8:30 am - 2:30 pm
No appointments, clients are seen on a first come first serve basis. The last client will be seen at 2pm.