CalFresh provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. It can help buy nutritious foods for a better diet. If approved, a monthly dollar amount is placed on a debit-like card to help you add to your monthly food budget. LEARN MORE »
Looking for food right this moment? For more information about how to get free groceries, prepared meals, and other services, click here.
The Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) allows CalFresh recipients who are elderly, disabled, or homeless to purchase hot, prepared meals at participating restaurants. learn more.
To learn more about how to use your CalFresh EBT card and how to maintain your CalFresh benefits, click here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE! In accordance with the new social distancing mandate issued by county officials, clients are strongly encouraged to submit verifications using the following methods:
- Email (HSA_ESS_Questions@smcgov.org)
- Fax (650-620-9732)
- Online at getcalfresh.org
- Via drop boxes located outside of any of our regional offices
To request a replacement EBT card, please call (877) 328-9677 for assistance.
Need food? Apply for CalFresh today at getcalfresh.org or any of the methods stated above.
BEWARE! Be on the lookout for potential scammers using the COVID-19 situation to steal personal information. If you’ve received a text or phone call asking for your personal information, contact us or California representatives right away at 877-847-3663. We will never text or call you requesting personal information, such as your EBT card number, personal identification number (PIN) or social security number.
To stay on top of potential scams, please visit USDA’s SNAP scam alert webpage at https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/scam-alerts.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CALFRESH TIME LIMIT. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CalFresh time limit has been temporarily suspended statewide.
During this time, ABAWDs will not be required to meet the work requirement to keep receiving CalFresh.
PANDEMIC EBT (P-EBT) will be issued to all families with children who receive free/reduced lunch, CalFresh, Medi-Cal and/or Foster Care benefits.
How will this impact my family?
- P-EBT card DOES NOT replace the regular CalFresh EBT card or free/reduced lunch. P-EBT is an additional benefit. CalFresh recipients will have two separate EBT cards.
- The Department Homeland Security (DHS) has said that P-EBT will not be considered public charge.
- P-EBT is administered by the California Department of Social Services, not the County of San Mateo. For card replacements or questions, please contact the P-EBT customer service at
- For additional information visit:
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 introduces two temporary changes to the CalFresh student eligibility rule to expand eligibility to students who are eligible for federal or state work study or who have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of zero dollars. For more information please see links to flyers below.
- Temporary Changes to the Student Eligibility Rule
- FAQs -Temporary Changes to the Student Eligibility Rule