CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids)
CalWORKs provides temporary cash assistance to low-income families with children along with services to help parents find and keep a job. CalWORKs can also help children who are not receiving financial support and care from their parents. HSA staff can also assist with health insurance and food assistance.
Who can benefit from this program?
CalWORKS helps families and children get the support and assistance they need during tough economic times.
If you are:
- A family with a child or children under the age of 18
- A pregnant woman in her last trimester
- A pregnant teen
*You may be eligible to receive CalWORKS benefits if you meet income, resource, and family composition guidelines.
What do I need to apply?
To make your application process easier, please have the following ready:
- Identification – Driver's license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates for the children in your family
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
- Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veterans benefits
- Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, or retirement accounts
What else should I know?
If you are looking for a job, our staff can train you in job search skills and link you to support services for your children. Once you find a job, CalWORKS can provide you transportation and child care assistance.
- Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, child care, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211.”
- For employment services and training, visit our PeninsulaWorks One-Stop Career Centers – www.peninsulaworks.org.
- For emergency food and to apply for CalFresh (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-934-3663
The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a staff person for the most up-to-date information.