Medi-Cal Health Insurance
Medi-Cal provides free or low cost health insurance to eligible adults, children and seniors. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), additional health coverage options are now available to individuals of all ages. For more information, please call 1-800-223-8383, or visit on of our offices.
Who can benefit from Medi-Cal?
- Single and married adults
- Parents and children
- The blind or disabled
- Pregnant women
- People in a skilled nursing or long-term facility
- Those receiving SSI/SSP or CalWORKs
- Those who meet income and resource guidelines
What else should I know?
- If you have a medical emergency, you can ask your worker to process your case right away.
- You can apply for Medi-Cal even if you have another type of insurance.
- In some cases, Medi-Cal can help pay for Medicare premiums.
- Applications are usually processed in 45 days (90 days for disability applications).
What do I need to apply?
It will be easier to process your application if you have the following ready:
- Identification – Driver's license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates, or proof of immigration status
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
You may also be asked to provide information about:
- Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veterans benefits
- Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, retirement accounts, vehicle registration
The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a staff person for the most up-to-date information.
- Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, child care, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211.”
- For employment services and training, visit our PeninsulaWorks One-Stop Career Centers – www.peninsulaworks.org.
- For emergency food and to apply for CalFresh (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-934-3663