CalFresh Press Update
For Immediate Release
May 6, 2013
Contact: Edwin Chan, Executive Analyst
County of San Mateo, Human Services Agency
Phone: (650) 995-3733
San Mateo County Board of Supervisors Declares May as
CalFresh Awareness Month
Redwood City, CA – The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors is declaring May as CalFresh Awareness Month to increase awareness, access, and participation in the CalFresh program. During the month of May, the Human Services Agency (HSA) has planned a host of events to promote the CalFresh program (formerly known as Food Stamps), including a community convening on developing CalFresh enrollment strategies with community based organizations, promoting CalFresh on an ethnic radio program (Sing Tao Radio), staffing a CalFresh awareness booth at new community events and accepting CalFresh applications at the upcoming County Fair in June.
“This is one of the most expensive places to live in the State and it is very difficult for many working families to be economically self-sufficient,” says Beverly Beasley Johnson, Agency Director for the Human Services Agency, “The CalFresh program is available for all eligible participants and we want to get the word out to help our residents put healthy food on their tables.”
Over the past few years, the county’s CalFresh participation has risen steadily, from 16,085 participants in December 2009 to 28,103 participants in December 2012. Despite the increases, there are still residents who are unaware that they may be eligible for the CalFresh program. HSA is emphasizing the different convenient methods to apply for services, by calling the 1-800-223-8383 benefits hotline, applying online at www.mybenefitscalwin.org, by stopping at any of the five regional HSA offices, or by applying at a local community based organization.
CalFresh Awareness Month in San Mateo County
Community meetings: To further develop strategies to improve CalFresh participation and
to address social barriers.
May 6th, Moving Forward (Food Security/CalFresh Update), 9-11am, Sobrato Center
May 29th, CalFresh Outreach Workgroup Meeting, 2-4pm, 1 Davis Drive
Radio show: Promote CalFresh on Sing Tao Chinese radio show.
May 17th, 9-10AM, AM 1400
Community Events: Attend and staff community events for CalFresh awareness.
May 7th, Sequoia High School Resource Fair
May 18th, SOUL STROLL Health Fair at Coyote Point
May 18th, Reading Rainbow in East Palo Alto
Onsite application assistance: in collaboration with Second Harvest Food Bank.
1. Daly City/Mike Nevin Medical Center* (Mondays and Wednesdays)
2. South San Francisco Medical Center* (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
3. Belle Aire School Resource Fair, San Bruno (May 2nd)
4. Millbrae Senior Brown Bag (May 2, 5, 9)
5. CALL Primrose, Burlingame* (May 9)
6. Machinists Hall/AFL-CIO, Burlingame* (May 24)
7. First Presbyterian Senior Brown Bag, San Mateo (May 7,14)
8. Samaritan House, San Mateo* (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
9. San Mateo Medical Center, San Mateo* (Mondays and Wednesdays)
10. San Mateo WIC* (Wednesdays)
11. Redwood City WIC* (Fridays)
12. Fair Oaks Community Center Senior Brown Bag, Redwood City (May 10, 17, 24)
13. Roosevelt Elementary School, Redwood City (Thursdays)
14. Hoover Community School, Redwood City* (May 2, 16)
15. St. Anthony’s Dining Room, Menlo Park*(Wednesdays)
16. VA Clinic, Menlo Park* (3rd Monday)
17. Willow Clinic, Menlo Park* (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
18. East Palo Alto WIC* (5/9, 5/21)
19. Ravenswood Dental Clinic, East Palo Alto* (Wednesdays)
20. Ravenswood Medical Clinic, East Palo Alto* (May 3, 17)
21. Moonridge Housing, Half Moon Bay* (May 15th)
22. Half Moon Bay Library* (May 28th)
23. Puente de la Costa Sur, Pescadero* (Thursdays)